Tuesday, 15 March 2016

Handmade With Love - Marketstall

It has been quite some time since I wrote a handmade post. I have still been making things in the background over the last few months. Over the month of February I set to making something that was both different and fun for D's birthday.

It all started when I was talking to Simon about what we should get him. I knew that I would be making D some felt food (I will be sharing this with you soon) and so I really wanted to look into getting either a wooden kitchen or some kind of market. After looking online for a while I had seen nothing that I really loved. There where a few kitchens online that I did like but they would have been to big for our house. Which was a big no go area.


While we where out doing our shopping I spotted the perfect market stall. The only problem was that it was in pretty bad condition, there where black marks all over the yellow sides, I hate the colour yellow and there was a pole along with the awning missing. The awning wasn't that much of a problem as I could easily sew a new one but I had never sanded and repainted any toy before. There where so many questions running through my head while I was standing there staring through the window of a second-hand shop. Honestly I probably looked a bit crazy standing there staring into the abyss of the window. I couldn't get a really good look at it as it was behind some other items. Here it is above washed down.

Anyway, we went back after a week of talking it out and researching all the ways I could fix the market stall back to how it looked before or even better to make it look completely different. I knew I would have to put some real work into it for it to come out looking at least okay.


I set to work the first night we got it home. I needed to really take the whole thing apart piece by piece and clean each section/piece with a Dettol spray (My favourite disinfectant) I only used a small amount as most of the stall is just wood with no paint or protection. The cleaned parts are what you can see in the picture above.

  My next step was to combat that yellow colour that by this point I really did hate. Cleaning all the pieces had shown me that it had mostly just been dirty and that there wasn't many scratches in the wood or paint. It also showed up the yellow more and the more I seen the greater my distaste came. The only way to get rid of the yellow was to sand it all away. Considering I had never tried something this big before and that I didn't have any specialised equipment for sanding I used some regular sanding blocks that I picked up in Poundland.

I did sand down the first side in 3 days by dry sanding it and I realised that at that rate I would never be finished sanding the yellow away. So I went on google again in search of a way to properly sand it down faster. The only 'faster' way I could find that wouldn't require me to buy a tool for sanding was to wet sand it. Now I tried to wet sand the second side (The back of the first piece) from the start without doing any dry sanding first, this didn't go well. I stood in my back garden for over half an hour sanding away and I barely got any paint off. Why wasn't it working??

Well the answer was that there was a protective spray over the top of the paint which would only come off with a quick dry sanding. This took me another while to figure out as I had to dry the piece and leave it for a while just to make sure it was actually dry. Using one of the sanding blocks I lightly sanded the whole section before I tried the wet sanding again. It actually worked and it worked really well.


I managed to sand down the whole section in one day. I don't know how long it took as I ended up coming back out every time I went in the kitchen for 5-10 minutes and getting it done little by little. Why? Well because sanding constantly hurts! It really hurts after a while. This was the only way I could make progress without rendering my arms useless. I sanded down the other section of yellow and you can see in the above picture what I was getting to with the sanded section. (I forgot to take a picture before I pained them)

It took a while throughout the days of sanding for me to decide how I was going to create a lasting finish/ colour that would be waterproof and have a good look. To simply paint the market stall with a brush would require a primer which can take up to 24 hours to dry on each side along with the paint and then finally a clear gloss. That would be a lot of painting and a lot more time waiting. I didn't really want to spend another 5 - 6 days painting the stall. The only other way I could find which would be faster and would actually work out cheaper was spray paint.


I have never used spray paint before and I knew there was a lot I needed to learn and I needed to learn it quickly. This is where I spent my nights in bed searching google for all the information and tips I could find on spray paint and how to use it properly. I must say Google really was my friend during this project! After a while I got the gist of how to use it and what to do in order to protect myself from the fumes. I used some bubble wrap and a plastic sheet to protect the back garden (it's really a yard but any how). I had chosen the green and blue colours of the spray paint above for the market stall.


Now for the fun bit. I discovered I really enjoyed spray painting! With each piece set out on separate areas for different colours I was ready to start. It wasn't easy to hold my breath and spray at the same time as holding my mask on. (I thought it would be safer not to breathe during the actual spraying to limit the amount of fumes I was breathing in. ) It didn't take long to completely coat each piece on one side and it took even less time for it to dry! I did leave it an hour or two between each side to be safe it was dry. You can see an example of each piece in the picture above.


There was only three things left to do and the first was to put the market stall back together. This probably took around 25 minutes while I tried to remember where everything was supposed to go and how each screw went in. It looked so different when I had finished! Don't you think?

Now came a bit I hadn't really thought about during the process. There was a long wooden pole missing. If I had thought about this I would have simply found a DIY shop near us and went to get one in the right size. I had completely forgot about it. I also forgot that the only store near us that did them was now shut down! Oops. I did have one pole of wood but it was to big. So I set about using my newly learnt skills to saw the pole to length (I knew how to use the saw before  I had watched Simon use the saw before.It didn't look that hard..)  and to sand down the ends at an angle to ensure they fitted into the circular area cut out on the stall for the pole. This did take quite a while but I got there in the end.

The final piece to do was the awning. I knew what I wanted the awning to look like and the colours I wanted the fabric to be, ideally it would have been the blue and green colour in stripes. However the fabric shop didn't have any fabric that was striped in blue and green of any kind. In the end it was between the blue and green spotted fabric which was pretty thick or the green and white striped fabric which was quite thin. D got to choose and he wanted the spotty fabric so he got the spotty fabric. I set to work after D went to bed and had the awning finished in a few hours. It was easy to make with only having to measure the fabric against the area for the awning on the stall and deciding how low I wanted it to reach. Then all I had to do was use the machine and sew a few lines. One to join the two bottom pieces together along with the side. I then had to measure the section again to see where The first loop for the top pole needed to go and again for the bottom pole. All that was left was two lines of stitching and it was done!


I had almost finished! I only needed to put the awning on the stall and that would be it. Here is the stall with the awning.


I was delighted with the finished product! It looked brilliant and I loved all the colour. D loves the market stall which would have originally came from Asda. Here it is above out ready for D to wake up on his birthday. All in all I did spend more on making the stall than it would have originally cost.I don't mind that we spent a bit more on the stall as it is now perfect for D and I know that it will be played with for a long time to come. I spent around £20 - £25 on finishing the stall with the stall itself included which cost £5 to buy. The most expensive part of the stall was the spray paint which I got on an offer of 4 for £20 meaning each can cost £5. I do have another project in mind for the pink and purple paint. Hopefully I will get that one done in the summer.


Post a Comment

Why not leave a comment?


Find us on Social Media

Follow by Email

Blog Archieve

Tots 100

TOTS100 - UK Parent Blogs


Featured post

Great Eco Swaps you can make during Plastic Free July {Review with SaveMoneyCutCarbon}

   * AD - The items featured have been gifted for an honest review. * *All thoughts and opinions expressed are entirely my own. * I'm su...